I knew a few English words that are originally Arabic and I used to brag about them too. Words like algebra and Influenza. Turns out there are much more than just a few, In fact hundreds whom are used frequently. Here are some of my favorite.
- Adobe – yes, that entire multi-million company is based on an Arabic word.
- Massacre – not really proud that it came from us, though a very powerful word.
- Hookah – why on earth were we the ones that came up with that word.
- Coffee – that thing that never departs my system.
- Orange – at least we own the color orange, I demand some revenue.
- Arsenal – this ones for all the arsenal lovers.
- Zero – not sure how the world would have functioned without it.
- Tarboosh – don’t want to know what it means, do want to know what the guy was having when he came up with it.