I had to finish some work that involved getting an approval from a government sector, I’m not even going to mention what a huge and confusing headache it is just to get a simple task done and how many government sectors I had to pass by, that’s not including the ones that redirected me somewhere else.
What ticked me off the most was when I was almost done and had to pay KD 50, they told me I have to pay it in the old currency so the machine would accept it. The new currency was released 3 months ago, why wasn’t the machine updated at the same time? Why do I have to go through such a hard time because of someone else’s negligence?
I didn’t have any money from the old currency and here’s what I had to do:
- Passed by a close by kitchen store: They had KD 0 of the old currency
- Passed by a close by electronics store: They had KD 0 of the old currency
- Passed by NBK: Even though they were understanding of my situation, they told me they can’t give me the old currency
- Passed by Landmark/Centerpoint: They had KD 10 of the old currency so we exchanged
- Passed by a Baqala: He had two KD 5‘s fortunately, so we exchanged
- Passed by a private supermarket: They had exactly KD 30 of the old currency, we exchanged
All of this just to get through the simple task of inserting money into a machine and getting a receipt. If you want to update a currency of an entire country then for the love of God make sure all government sectors are ready to accept the new currency either before or during the launch, not have people suffer 3 months later.