I got a phone call yesterday from Abu Dhabi, at first I thought it was a friend calling to check to see how are things but when I picked up the phone there was a guy speaking English with an Indian accent. He explained he was from Ooredoo Headquarters in UAE and then congratulated me for winning KD 20,000 with Ooredoo.
I knew it was a scam on the spot and was about to call him out but instead I continued to see how far things go. He shamelessly asked me to say Al’Hamd’Lellah after telling me I won, it couldn’t get any worse. Funnily enough he told me the money will be transferred using Al Mulla Exchange.
So here are the main reasons this is a scam
- I didn’t sign up for any contest/lottery to begin with
- My line isn’t Ooredoo, I switched to another telecom more than a year ago but since it started with ‘6’ he thought it was
- The Qatari owned telecom does not operate in UAE, which means they don’t have a headquarters there
- Ooredoo is an operating telecom in Kuwait, if I won something they would at least call from Kuwait
- What happened after he declared my prize was also significant proof it was a scam
The guy then gave me a number to call and claim my prize. I wanted to go all the way to see where the scams flourishes but unfortunately the guy mistakenly only gave me 7 digits. What normally happens is I call someone, he says to claim the prize I have to pay an amount of money to finish the paperwork etc, which normally ranges KD 50 – 200. They take that money and disappear.
I hope someone from Ooredoo is reading this post, as for the rest, please beware.
The number from Abu Dhabi, UAE that called was +971 50 842 7560
The number he gave me to call that was in Kuwait was 6090379
Disclaimer: Ooredoo the company have nothing to do with what has happened, it was an impersonator pretending to be them.